British Afghan Women’s Society works with young people and Unaccompanied Minors in London, mainly from Afghanistan but not exclusively. Since 2002, We offer a range of free services including:
- Counselling, Information, Advice & Guidance
- Referrals and advice with health, education, training and employment
- Supplementary School
Project based activities such as:
- Discussions, Fun and Cooking
- Art, Music and Drama Workshops
We work in partnership and co-operate with many different organisations on youth work. Some of our most recent partners include:
- London Metropolitan Police (Prevent Teams)
- Local Authorities – Social services, Fostering Teams (Waltham Forest, Enfield, Lewisham, Hounslow, Brent)
- Schools / Colleges (East Berkshire college, Lewisham EAL Teachers, The Lammas School, Hounslow Manor School)
- Youth Centres (The Centre Project Leicester)
We intend to improve young people’s social and cooperative skills through engaging them in various activities and find out about their aspirations and wishes for the future.We are planning more projects this year and we will be happy to hear about other organisations and projects/programmes in other local communities to co-operate with.
Our projects are listed by name at the top left hand section of this page.
BAWS values are very much centred on community cohesion and encouraging our Afghan community to integrate with the rest of the school and local community, without compromising the cultural identity and aspects attached to being an Afghan youth living and making UK their home.Lammas School & Sports College
“I learnt how to talk to other people who I don’t know and this has made me more confident and I made new friends”
“Watching the Afghan heritage, it reminded me of a different Afghanistan, of a passive Afghanistan, of a society where people breathed and nourished, and where societies mingled with the country around “
“This is such a wonderful project you are embarking on – I am excited and privileged to be involved with it”Volunteer for DAWN project
We used Afghan Senses to cater for our project celebration event. Everything arrived on time, and proved very popular with everyone attending it was delicious and generous! I would definately use them again for other events.